What is a Gas Safe Engineer? A Useful Guide to Gas Safe Registered Engineers

Allen HartBoilers, Gas Safety

What’s a Gas Safe Engineer?

CCH Leeds are a Gas Safe Registered company and know the importance of gas safety. It’s imperative that a Gas Safe registered engineer is used for any work with gas. if you’re in the Leeds area, you can always give us a call 

Carbon Monoxide; it’s a killer.  You can’t see it or smell it, a good enough reason to have your gas appliances serviced and maintained annually by a Gas Safe Engineer. But why Gas Safe, what makes these engineers the Trades to turn to?

In short, Gas Safe Engineers work Safely and Legally on appliances such as your gas cookers, boilers and fires and any other gas appliance you may have.  It’s a legal requirement to have a qualified engineer to service, fit or repair your appliances.  Once the work has been complete a Gas Safety Certificate will be provided by the engineer, this will show his Gas Safe licence ID number.  Only a Gas Safe Engineer can provide you with this document.  

As a registered Gas Safe engineer you can relax in the knowledge that all engineers are monitored and assessed regularly, a risk assessment is carried out to ensure the quality of their work.  

I refused to have the work done, he’s not CORGI registered!

In 2009 CORGI was replaced by Gas Safe Register for Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.  Guernsey was included from 2010.  With over 12’000 Gas Safe Registered Engineers in the UK, you will be able to find a registered engineer in your area.

But I can get the job done cheaper, why should I use Gas Safe?  

An unqualified trade carrying out work on gas appliances is breaking the law, he may be working illegally and putting your family and home at risk of gas leaks, fire, carbon monoxide poisoning and explosions, qualifications are there to keep you and your loved ones safe.

He told me he was qualified. How was I to know he was not telling me the truth? 

If you have any doubts about your engineer check with Gas Safe directly, it’s easy to do, you can go online and verify them at www.gassaferegister.co.uk, call them on 0800 408 5500 or text GAS then the engineer’s licence number shown on his card to 85080 you will receive a text back confirming if the licence card is registered.

Had work carried out and you’re not happy?

Contact Gas Safe, they will check the work to ensure it has been done professionally and safely, if their work is dangerous and not fit for use they can take their findings to the HSE who can prosecute if necessary.  

We rent our property, how often should a gas certificate be issued? 

It is a legal requirement for your Landlord to ensure that pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained and safe.  Checks should be carried out every 12 months and a Gas Safety Certificate should be provided to the tenant within 28 days of completion this record is the ‘Landlord Gas Safety Record’ also know as a Gas Safety Certificate or CP12.  Before moving in to a rented property make sure that these checks have been carried out prior to your moving in.

Your Gas-safe engineer has been trained to the highest standards and are regularly monitored providing peace of mind for your home and family, NEVER use an unqualified engineer!

In Leeds? Get in touch with our engineers. 

If you’re in Leeds or the surrounding area, such as Guiseley or Ilkley, and are in need of a heating engineer, get in touch today!